29 May 2009

my own before & after

i've finally got the chance to show you all my husband's and my little diy project that we finished barely before our baby came.  i have always loved the idea of refinishing old furniture {talk about environmentally friendly!} and the fact that i did not have a place to put my baby's clothes made this a project whose due date was pressing.  this is usually the way my husband and i get things accomplished.




my father helped out quite a bit with this one.  he's an 'ol pro.  he helped us with staining techniques and loaned out a big chunk of space in his shop for us to try our amature hands at something we both love to do-transform old to new.




i could not be more proud of the way it turned out.  it took several coats of stain for the dark outline and one or two clear coats for the drawers.  the handles were a sinch to replace.  it is now my most favorite piece of furniture.  and let me tell you, it was actually a very cheap project.  we still have almost an entire can of $10 stain and clear coat left.  the handles cost a total of $42 dollars.  sandpaper my pop had, so i'm not sure what we saved there.  

now we're itching to do our other dresser to match.  maybe next fall!

No comments: